Blood Red Road - Moira Young When Saba’s brother Lugh is kidnapped by a band of horsemen, she promises to rescue him and sets off on a journey away from the only home she has ever known. Saba and her little sister Emmi cross wastelands and mountains to bring their brother back and along the way they team up with a band of highway robbers and the oh so mysterious Jack.

I’m am constantly bitching about how weak female leads can be in YA novels and I am happy to report that is not the case here. Saba is awesome. She’s a cage-fighting, prison escaping, beast slaying bad ass. Even Emmi, her scrappy little 9 year old sister is pretty bad ass. She doesn’t let anyone tell her what to do and she certainly isn’t going to get left behind.

The relationship between Jack and Saba didn’t make me want to pop my eyeballs out of my skull and grind them to paste under my heel just so I don’t have to read about it any longer, which is nice. I did kind of feel like it was a frustrating relationship but…eh. Jack isn’t a creep. I like the idea of them being together.

One thing that did bother me was the dialect. I had to stop reading it how it was written because I found it harsh and annoying. I know that was the point and that the book takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. I know that people are mostly illiterate and that it would not be realistic for the characters to speak perfect English. I totally understand why the author did what she did. I just annoyed me. I can’t help it. That being said it was pretty easy to ignore and it didn’t take away from my overall enjoyment of the book.

A lot of people are saying that first part of this book is better than the second and I would have to agree. Once Saba makes her escape from Hopetown and heads off to the mountains the story gets a bit weaker. It was never bad though. I happily give the first part a strong 4 stars but the book as a whole 3 or 3.5 stars.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a solid adventure story. Younger readers will most likely enjoy it a bit more. It isn't a deep and meaningful story but it is very fun. I'm planning on picking up Rebel Heart very soon.